Back in the late 1990’s when I first threw myself into the dot com world with a project called 3courselunch.com (online, bite sized learning in your lunch hour) I had the good fortune to connect with an incredible man name Tim Healey.
For the next three years, almost every day – and I mean 5+ times a week – I would either have long mentoring sessions with Tim, or take a visit to him and his wife, Pat, at their home.
They are a couple of the kindest people I’ve ever met, and I hope they know my gratitude for their support during this time, and long afterwards, until this very day.
I should point out that Tim has a couple of PhDs (in Metallurgy as he worked in the Nuclear Industry) but his life experience, and ‘people skills’ are what he imparted.
Let’s run through, in a video guide way, some of the things I learned from Tim in relation to communication, relationships, and generally how we can make our lives and those around us, a little better.
- Where you will be in 5 years time is down to the books that you read and the people you spend your time with
- Everyone needs a vehicle
- What is the nature of relationship you are seeking to have
- What’s wrong here? George Soros
- A little black heart – don’t say that snarky comment
- You will only rise as high as your pathologies
- Don’t say ‘dealing with difficult people’
- People become arrogant when they are not successful enough
- Write in your books. They are much easier to go back to; and make notes about people, and times of life
- Have a back up plan
- Don’t quote yourself
- ‘Free willy’ (um, yes)
- You may not enjoy doing the garden, but you like the way it looks.
- Not having an axe to grind
- No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care (Theodore Roosevelt)
- ‘That which goes beyond’
- People don’t like being ‘got’
- We all have the same amount of time, it is all about our priorities.
- Not holding back on giving content/answers when someone asks a question, even when you are not certain they will understand it
- When is enough, enough?
There you have it! Don’t just read the list, watch the 15 minute video. I am on a beach. It is worth it! Let me know if you like this, and maybe there will be more to follow…